Project Name: Movement Climbing
Client: Movement Climbing - Boulder, CO
In the Front Range climbing haven of Boulder, Colorado, 5.14 rock climbers, 8,000 meter mountaineers, and double-digit boulderers abound. Movement Climbing and Fitness is a new level of climbing facility built not only to provide a training ground for many of those world class athletes, but to grow a strong sense of community among recreational and advanced climbers of all disciplines. Movement employs many of the best coaches, personal trainers, and routesetters in the US to provide a top-level professional environment for a range of athletes, whether climbing for fun or training for the next first ascent.
Movement’s state-of-the-art facility was designed by climber architects at Jim Logan Architects, with climbing, fitness, and comfort in mind. Built for community and competition alike, the modern facility features a green design that provides elaborate solar power. The gym also has a unique viewing amphitheater with combination seating and storage, a children’s day care center, cardio mezzanine, expansive locker rooms, yoga and spin rooms, and 2,000 square feet of fitness equipment with beautiful mountain views. Rockwerx designed the wall terrain with help from one of Movement’s 5.14 climbers in residence - Mike Moelter - one of only a few internationally certified routesetters in the US. With Movement, we built the first ever wall designed precisely to specifications for international speed climbing competition, and also built custom textured panels to allow arched climbing walls to change to a flat competition surface in no time at all. Movement is also outfitted with countless modular Rockwerx Climbing Holds and numerous unique Rockwerx Volumes, including the first ever “Le Boob” fiberglass features and a range of our amazingly refined plywood Geodesic Shapes.
With elaborate fitness components, over 16,000 square feet of combined climbing surface including dedicated top-out bouldering, steep wall training, campus and system boards, Movement Climbing and Fitness represents one of the most comprehensive facilities in the country. Located in central Boulder, directly off of route 36, Movement is only a short distance from Denver, just over 30 miles from Rocky Mountain National Park, and only minutes from famous climbing areas such as Eldorado Canyon, Flagstaff Mountain Park, Boulder Canyon, and the picturesque Flatirons.
- 16,000 square feet of total climbing terrain
- 40 foot tall and over 30 foot overhanging competition lead wall
- One-of-a-kind viewing amphitheater
- Top-out bouldering walls and a steep training-specific cave
- Solar power system to provide up to 80% of energy needs
- Carpeted padded floors throughout
- Custom seamless bouldering landing surface
- Youth climbing teams
- Professional routesetting
- Wireless internet
- Men’s and Women’s locker rooms with showers
- Yoga and spin rooms and classes
- Children’s climbing day-care
- Central Boulder location with easy access to Route 36
- Private training by professional climbers
- Local and national climbing competitions, clinics and other events